Heart disease is the leading cause of death among men and women in the United States. Every year, 1 in 4 deaths is caused by heart disease. That’s more than 600,000 deaths annually, more than all forms of cancer combined (HealthFinder).
While these statistics are scary, there are steps that can be taken to help prevent heart disease and keep you and your family healthy.
To help prevent heart disease, you can:
• Eat healthy.
• Get active.
• Stay at a healthy weight.
• Quit smoking and stay away from secondhand smoke.
• Control your cholesterol and blood pressure.
• If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
• Manage stress.
• These are just some ways that you can help to prevent heart disease. We will delve further into each one during this month to help you find ways that work for you to lead a long, healthy life!